A few days ago, a colleague of mine mentioned that the font I was using on my blog looked borderline ugly on Linux. Here's a screen shot:
As you can see, the uneven glyphs make it look goofy and certainly hard to read. The problem was that I used a font that seems to be present on many Mac and Windows computers, but was unavailable on my colleague's Linux box. His browser tried to substitute it with a different font -- with limited success.
So I decided to use a nifty little web feature called @font-face that allows me to define and embed my desired fonts into the website. Ideally, every browser on every platform will download the fonts I am using, and display my blog the way it is intended to look. The fonts I am using now are called Goudy Bookletter 1911 (for the headings) and Droid Serif (for the text).
I hope you like the new fonts and find them pleasant to read. If you notice any problems, however, please let me know!
Thanks for the hint, Lars, and thanks to all commenters for providing valuable feedback!